Dog Car Harnesses and Seat Belt Restraints – See which are the Best
Unfortunately car accidents happen quite often on the road. When a vehicles stops abruptly, everything is moving onward. And every time you go on a ride with your pet, you risk his life if he is not well restrained. So, we welcome to our Best Dog Car Harnesses Review. Whichever product you’re searching for, harnesses and seat belts are the best for this purpose, unless your pup travels in a crate or behind a dog car barrier. But harness gives more freedom for your pet, and definitely more convenient for larger dogs. Here we selected the best among different types. When you’re done reading them, be sure to check out the Buyer’s Guide for additional tips. Let’s get started!
Top Rated Dog Car Harnesses — Overview & Rating
Table of Rating
|Kurgo Enhanced Strength Tru-Fit Dog Car Harness||
|Pawaboo Dog Safety Vest Harness||
|EzyDog Drive Safety Travel Dog Car Harness||
|Sleepypod ClickIt Sport Crash-Tested Car Safety Dog Harness||
|SlowTon Dog Car Harness||
- Crash tested
- Durable materials
- Padded chest plate for extra protection
Safe and comfortable, Kurgo harness is designed based on rock-climbing harnesses for ultimate satety. You can use it also for everyday activities.
- Suitable with any vehicle seat belt system
- Five points of adjustment
- Compatible with any vehicle seat belt system
- Stitches can irritate sensitive dogs
- Material: Durable Oxford, Padded Chest Plate
- Reflective: No
- Top Handle: No
Simple and lightweight design suitable for everyday walk and safety car driving.
- Wide padded chest plate
- High quality stainless steel hook
- Safety belt can be replaced by a leash
- Not suitable for aggressive chewers
- Safety tested and meets all standards
- Smart lock-unlock system
- Made of durable, light and strong materials
Safe and built to last, the EzyDog Harness fits quickly and can be used with large or small dogs.
- Comes of and off quickly
- Will fit most large dog breeds without being too tight
- Helps ease dogs with car anxiety problems
- The fit could be stiff of some dogs, causing irritation
- Material: luggage-grade, ballistic nylon
- Energy absorbing padded vest
- Reflective strips
The Sleepypod ClickIt Sport Car Harness is the only dog safety harness which passed all crash tests fulfilled by the Independent Pet Safety Research Institution – the Center For Pet Safety, and got a corresponding safety certification. The entire design helps to distribute and reduce damaging forces in an accident. No additional hardware or attachment straps are needed. Available in four colors: Jet Black, Strawberry Red, Robin Egg Blue and Orange Dream.
- Unique Infinity Loop design
- Three-point securing of the entire dog body
- Suitable for use as a walking harness
- Easy to clean
- Harness fabric may seem rather stiff for small dogs
- Suits for all types of cars
- Breathable Mesh
- Dogs can sit or lie on the seat
This harness is suggested for pet owners that don’t like the idea of hauling around a booster when their dog is out with them. So long as you’re okay with not being able to put it in the front, it shouldn’t be irritating to your dog.
- The buckle featured on the leash is compatible with most seat belt latches
- With the product, dogs can sit on the car’s seat without the need of a booster
- Allows for some movement but not enough to where the dog can reach the front of the vehicle
- Can only be used (safely) in rear seats
Top Rated Dog Seat Belt Restraints — Overview & Rating
Table of Rating
|URPOWER Upgraded Dog Seat Belt 2 Pack||
|URPOWER Dog Seat Belt 2 Pack||
|Kurgo Direct to Seatbelt Tether for Dogs||
|Leash Boss Dog Car Seat Belt Restraint||
Best for Car and Walks
|Didog Dog Vehicle Car Harness Leash||
- Suitable for small and large dogs
- Adjustable length
- Elastic bungee
The Urpower is a dog seatbelt that is secured with metal hooks and straps. It doesn’t really matter the size of the dog that you use it for, most will be able to wear it comfortably.
- The metal hooks and straps are made of durable material that won’t break easily
- Won’t tear from biting
- Will adjust to most dog’s size
- The buckle can be opened easily by the dog’s feet (if they step on the button)
- Fast attach to vehicle headrest
- Suitable for all car types
- Can be used as a dog leash
Try out this harness is your fancy one with a long adjustment gauge.
- Can be adjusted to a maximum length of 28 inches
- Seatbelt not needed for use with the product
- Keeps dogs fixed to the center but free enough to allow comfortable movement in the position
- The strap that goes over the headrest could be a tight fit for short dogs
- Adjustable length
- Swivel Clip
- Easy to Install
There are several options of Kurgo seatbelts suitable for differing in length and fixing. This seatbelt is the most universal for all car types and combines perfect with Kurgo harness.
- Free movement is achieved with tangle free carabiner
- Attached directly to the harness which means you don’t have to undo a seatbelt
- Strong and durable steel hardware
- Not suitable for the front seat (too long)
- Suitable for heavy chewers
- Sizes: 5
- Attached to a latch bar
The Leash Boss Restraint is one tough cookie. No matter how hard your dog chews, it will never rip or tear. Use it on your booster seat if you wish, or secure to a seatbelt.
- Doesn’t break when chewed on
- Safe to use with an additional booster seat
- Very simple attachment instructions
- The metal clip is very thin and may snap if too much force is applied
Best for Car and Walks
- Adjustable length
- Can be used for regular walks
- Reflective strip in the ribbon
The Didog Harness has a variety of styles (colors) and can be placed in a booster seat. Trade it with one if the harness that’s already on your dog’s chair is fragile.
- Sold in three different colors
- Fits small and large dogs well
- When used in combination with a booster seat, adds an additional layer of security (especially for seats with cheap leashes)
- Easily torn if chewed
We Have Also Reviewed
Best For Medium-Sized Dogs
- Soft padding
- Can be used for car and for walks
- Durable materials
This harness will keep your dog from moving frantically in the seat. However, you will need to purchase a leash, as there isn’t one included with this product.
- Holds in place tightly; straps don’t loosen when pulled
- Keeps feisty dogs in place with limited movement
- Safe to use as a harness when not in a vehicle
- No front leash is featured with the product; must be purchased separately
Best Dog Car Harnesses and Seat Belt Restraints – Buyer’s Guide
How to Choose the Best Dog Car Harness and Seat Belt
Harnesses and seat belt restraints play a key role for dog safety in the car. But in order to achieve this you should pay attention to the following issues:
- Size and adjustment of harness
Safety begins with the right size of the harness which must fit exactly for your dog. Too big – the pup can get out of it eventually. Too small – will produce unnecessary pressure on the chest. What you have to do is to measure the chest of your dog and look for the sizes chart of the product. When you get the right one – make the final adjustment. The more adjustment point the harness has, the better it can fit.
- Length of the seat belt
Even with the seat belt the dog should be able to move slightly on the seat: to sit and lie comfortably, but no more. So measure the distance between fixation point (loop) on the harness and seat belt. Then compare with the length of the seat belt itself.
- Crash test
The most reliable harnesses and seat belts are crash tested and comply with all safety requirements. You can even find a video proof if needed.
Better choose the one made of durable breathable materials. If harness has a soft pad on the chest it is an advantage. When left on its own on the back seat, your dog can reach the seat belt and chew it. If your dog is prone to chewing, choose a seat belt for heavy chewers made of special chewing resistant materials.
Why to Use a Dog Car Harness Together with a Dog Seat Belt?
Even a light braking maneuver can cause injuries to the larynx or vertebrae if the belt is incorrectly applied. Dog owners who want to be sure that their dog is safe while driving should only use the dog safety belt * together with a safety harness. Most safety harnesses are made of lightweight nylon and offer great comfort. It is important to make sure that the harness placed around the dog’s chest has soft padding and that the straps are wide enough. The harness should protect the dog but not restrict it. The wider the straps are, the less pressure is exerted on the dog’s body.
What is the Difference between Car Harness and Walking Harness
These are models that have been specially developed for driving with the dog and have a good padding of the webbing. On some models there is a loop on the back of the harness through which the car safety belt can be passed. This allows the dog to sit or lie down in the desired position while driving, as required. Often these dog harnesses have also been tested for safety while driving by test centers and have a safety seal. Walking harnesses do not have these features and do not protect your dog in car accident.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Do I have to Use to Restrain a Dog - a Harness or a Collar?
We strongly recommend to use ONLY harness. When restrained to the collar your dog is not well protected during car accident and can be injured badly. The worst thing that may happen is neck break down during collision. That's why only seat belt is not enough. Use it in a combination with a harness which is designed specially to fix around your pet's body and can endure the impact of collision.
How Else Can I Use a Car Harness?
Car harnesses are designed for safe travelling in the car, therefore from stronger materials, with additional loops for seat belts. Some of them can be also used for normal walks. The most important - do not use walking harnesses as car harnesses unless stated by the manufacture.
If you decide to equip your favourite pet with all safety car accessories, like harness and seat belt, it will rewarded hundreds of time. You both deserve perfect travels, full of joy and safe at the same time.