Why Do I Need a Shock Collar for Pitbull?
There are many opinions on the need and benefit of shock collars for Pitbulls. So the team decided to highlight the topic and to answer the questions “what is it?” and “why do I need it?”In this article we will try to identify not only the main pros and cons of electronic dog collars, but also highlight the basic parameters that are important when choosing and buying an E-collar, as well as to dispel some myths about training with the help of such collars.
E-collars are commonly referred to as various devices that have the general purpose of correcting your dog’s behavior. If your dog shows signs of disobedience, the owner can back up the oral command with a more significant irritant: a beep, vibration or shock.
To begin with, many Pitbull pet parents are afraid to use electronic collars for training and fear that this type of collar will make their favorite dog even more aggressive and less ‘family oriented’. Another stopping factor is that it is not always clear from what age the electronic collar can be used. We dare to dispel all your concerns and myths. Since modern items are so advanced and carefully designed that they will not violate your friendship with your pet, but only help if necessary, to protect him from danger, spontaneous actions and unwanted consequences.
And it is not only about training, but also walks. For example, when your dog is jerking off behind a cat, vehicle or can’t hear you screaming or commanding, to prevent unwanted barking etc. So, let’s start with the best products on the market,
5 Best Shock Collars for Pitbulls – Overview & Rating
|Dog Care Training Collar||
|PATPET Shock Collar for Dogs||
|Garmin Delta Sport XC Bundle + Bark Control Integrated||
|TBI Pro Professional Shock Training Collar||
|Educator E-Collar Remote Dog Training Collar||
- 3 modes including shock, vibration and beep for dog
- Security keypad lock to prevent accidental shock
- 100% Waterproof
DOG CARE training collar is a perfect combination of professional design with stable and robust signal for different training environments and safety for dogs with low voltage static stimulation. You can use 3 modes: beep, vibration and shock for promoting basic obedience training. The security keypad lock prevents any unintentional static activation. With additional dog devices you can control up to 9 dogs. For all the features you get, you will pay a very reasonable price.
- Pet-friendly low voltage shock, yet to be effective
- Wide adjustment range of stimulation from 0 to 99 levels
- Silicone covers over the prongs and no metal to dog’s skin for better comfort
- No belt clip for the handheld
- Just one micro-USB cable for charging. So you can’t charge dog device and handheld at the same time
- 3 modes: shock, vibration and beep. 16 shock levels
- Ergonomic design
- 100% Waterproof
Having 1-100 stimulation levels is not a good choice for some people. The more does not mean the better. If you need to raise or low the level quickly, it’s significantly quicker with 1-16 range like in PATPET Dog Shock Collar. The levels of static shock are well-optimized, so you can always choose the best for your dog. The handheld is ergonomic, with easy-access button sizes and simple design, making it clear to operate. Standby regime allows to use the device up to 2 months on one charge.
- Conductive silicone prongs for safety on pet’s skin
- Really long-lasting battery
- The collar gets deactivated when the Vibration or Static Shock continuously work over 10 seconds
- No way to see charge level on the collar
- 3 modes: shock, vibration and tone
- 36 levels of momentary and continuous stimulation plus tone and vibration. 5 correction configurations for different behavioral issues
- 100% Waterproof
The ergonomic design of well-known Delta Sport XC allows you to operate with one hand with the three buttons on the front of the device. The side buttons and easy-to-read LCD display are designed for easy switching between training and dog selection configurations. The whole Delta Series is for those who want to train 1 or up to 3 dogs with one handheld device, and who like effectiveness and simplicity. 36 levels of momentary and continuous stimulation and 5 correction configurations make it adjustable for different behavioral issues.
- Simple and easy-to-use with one hand
- Rugged and durable
- 100% waterproof. Handheld can even float
- Extended control range up to 3/4 Miles
- Integrated BarkLimiter is not the best one. If this the function you need, better buy a special anti-bark collar
You may also like more GARMIN training collars
- 3 modes: shock, vibration and beep
- Developed in The USA K-9 experts
- 100% Waterproof
The TBI Pro training collar is a real cost effective training device. It was developed and tested in USA on dogs of different breeds and temperaments, including Pitbulls, in cooperation with professional K-9 trainers. It works in humane way without harming the psyche of your dog. 1-100 adjustment levels help to choose the stimulation strength you need. The collar is durable, lightweight and waterproof. This upgraded design has a better LCD display and ergonomic design. The older version has a flashlight and more extended control range.
- Rubber covers over the prongs
- Ergonomic and easy in operation handheld
- Lightweight collar
- Battery life may appear to be not as long as promise
Best Shock-Free Training Collar
- 2 modes: tone and vibration (tapping sensation similar to vibration, but more intense, making it an effective addition to the stimulation). 1-100 intensity levels + additional booster 1-60 levels more). Tracking light and beeper
- Ergonomic Stopwatch design of transmitter allows not to look at it, but to watch a dog. Lock and set features protect from overstimulation
- 100% Waterproof
The Educator E-Collar has a unique ergonomic “stopwatch” handheld design, the main aim of which is to allow the pet parent to watch his dog at all times and yet to operate the device. This not truly shock collar, Educator is E-Collar, delivering a tapping sensation similar to vibration, but more intense. With stimulation levels from 1 to 100 and the ability to set a boost level from 1 to 60, you can control the most stubborn dogs like Pitbulls, even in prey drive. Educator’s customized low level stimulation achieves superior training results without undue stress. Another unique feature is Pavlovian Tone. When the button is held down, the dog first hears a 1½ second tone, followed by stimulation, unless the button is released. Dogs quickly learn to associate the tone with a stimulation and soon respond to the tone itself.
- 100% pet-friendly stimulation
- Ergonomic design
- Pavlovian Tone
- Titanium Contact Points causing no irritation
- Light on the collar to identify the dog at night
- Battery life could be better
Best Bark Control Collar for Pitbull
First thing you need to understand about bark control collars is that you don’t have to control a dog by yourself, and no handheld is necessary, in comparison with training collars. There integrated sensors do the job and activate the collar. All you have to do is to set a necessary mode on a collar in advance.
- 5 levels of adjustable sensitivity and 3 training modes: beep, vibration and gentle safe shock / no shock
- Ignors other sounds and other barking dogs
- 100% Waterproof
The Authen no bark collar is featuring the Intelligent Chip for bark control. The collar has 5 levels of adjustable sensitivity and 3 training modes: beep, vibration and gentle safe shock (or no shock mode as an option). No shock mode is also effectively stops the barking with no harm to the dogs.
- The collar is IP67 waterproof
- Easy in operation
- Multiple choice of modes
- Long lasting battery up to 5 days
- Instructions difficult to understand quickly. But still good customer service.
What You Need to Know About Bark Collars
The most popular bark collars have several modes, including shock. The new generation collars have a choice between with-or-without shock modes, or no shock collars – only beep and vibration. The top rated collars are intelligent, so other nearby dogs barking, shaking head or other sounds will not activate the collar. This is very important for proper training.
Using a bark collar beware of the following:
- The collar should not be too tight – two fingers must fit between the collar belt and your dog’s neck
- If you are near your pet, reposition the collar on his neck every two hours to avoid skin damage.
- If your dog is a great barker and collar is activated quit often, do not wear it longer than 12 hours to prevent skin irritation.
- Study your pet’s neck daily to ensure the absence of irritation. If there is some, consult a veterinarian before you continue to use a collar.
Do not use the Bark Collar for:
- sick dogs
- aggressive dogs
- dogs under 6 months
Best Shock Collars for Pitbulls – Buyer’s Guide
Modes of Shock Collar Stimulation
The weakest method of exposure. With this feature, you can indicate your pet’s mistake by sounding an alarm. Or you can use it a signal to “come” from the distance, where your pet can’t hear your voice.
Your pet will know when an unacceptable action has been taken by vibrating the collar. In practice, most of the time, the vibrating mode is sufficient to ensure that your dog listens, but in some cases you will need to stop him by stronger action.
Despite its scary name, the effect of an electric discharge of an e-collar on a dog can be compared to the sensation of physiotherapy: with the right stimulation level your dog will only feel the vibration or slight muscle contraction.
For electrical stimulation weak currents are used the force of which is adjusted individually to the sensitivity of the dog.
Advantages of Shock Collars for Pitbull
The use of an electronic collar has several undeniable advantages:
- Immediate Reaction
In the event of disobedience, a guilty pet will immediately feel the effects of an irritant
- Ease of Use
In most cases, all you need to do is press one or a couple of buttons on the remote handheld
You’ll stop facing the fact that your dog doesn’t hear the commands you give.
- Getting rid of unwanted actions
Your dog will quickly realize that punishment is imminent anyway;
- Maintaining the trust
In most cases, your dog won’t associate the collar with his owner’s actions, accepting it as punishment from the outside ‘out of nowhere’.
What Age Can I Begin To Use a Shock Collar?
As for the age at which experienced dog handlers recommend to start using a shock collar – it is not earlier than 6 months. Depending on the model and manufacturer, this age may vary, you can clarify it more in detail in the instructions for the product itself.
When E-collar is the Most Effective
E-collar will be a useful aid in Pitbull education and training. By using such devices it will be much easier for the owner to cope with some of the problems and in some cases the collar will become simply indispensable.
Generating a dog’s response to commands. Supplementing the oral order with additional stimulation during training will allow the dog to determine more quickly which actions are undesirable.This speeds up the learning of the command, also thanks to your pet’s desire to avoid being effected by a shock collar again.
Prevents the chase after animals and vehicles. The hunting instinct can cause your dog to chase after a cat, cyclist or car, which will in any case only cause problems and most often lead to serious trouble, including direct threat to your dog’s health and life. If Bully wears an electronic collar, you can stop it only by pressing the remote control button, instead of starting to chase or helplessly watch from the side.
Prevents aggression. If a dog is prone to aggressive behavior, traditional ‘soft’ methods will often be insufficient to raise him. An electronic dog collar will help to solve this problem while also allowing you to follow the principles of humanism.
Restricts movement. The electronic collar in the kit “electronic fence” can serve as an analogue of the cage, automatically keeping the dog within the boundaries of the designated area and preventing attempts to sneak out (as soon as the pet approaches the invisible line, it will immediately feel the impact of the collar).
No picking up from the ground. For most dogs a variety of stuff in the street (garbage, bones, excrement, etc.) are very attractive for some Pitbulls during walking. A dog’s health and even life depend on how well his owner has trained him: eating that can accidentally cause food or chemical poisoning. With the help of E-collar it is possible to quickly disable a dog from taking anything without the owner’s permission, mostly thanks to its remote action.
Trains against unwanted barking. If your dog likes to bark at any time of the day, E-collar with anti-bark function can help solve this problem. A huge plus of these collars – independent operation, they do not need a remote control and the reaction of the owner. You can easily leave your dog at home alone by wearing a dog collar – if he wants to ‘sing’ a little in your absence, an automatic warning in the form of a vibration or a weak electrical discharge will immediately force him to change his plans.
How to Fit Shock Collar Properly?
Make sure the collar is turned off; Have your pet standing comfortably; Place the collar receiver on your pet’s neck close to the ears; Enter the contact points under your pet’s neck to touch the skin; The collar should fit tightly, but loose enough that two fingers fit between the strap and your pet’s neck; Wash the dog’s neck area and the contacts of the collar weekly with a damp cloth; We recommend using it no more than 12 hours per day.
Proper fit of the collar is important. A collar worn for too long or made too tight on the pet’s neck may cause skin damage. These collars can cause pressure necrosis if used incorrectly and is often misidentified as burns.
- Avoid leaving the collar on the dog for more than 12 hours per day.
- If it’s possible, reposite the collar on the pet’s neck every 1 to 2 hours.
- Check the fit of the collar to prevent excessive pressure; follow the instructions in this manual.
- Never connect a lead to the electronic collar; it will cause excessive pressure on the contacts.
- When using a separate collar for a lead, don’t put pressure on the electronic collar.
- Wash the dog’s neck area and the contacts of the collar weekly with a damp cloth.
- Examine the contact area daily for signs of a rash or a sore.
- If a rash or sore is found, discontinue use of the collar until the skin has healed.
- If the condition persists beyond 48 hours, see your veterinarian.
These steps will help keep your pet safe and comfortable. Millions of pets are comfortable while they wear stainless steel contacts. Some pets are sensitive to contact pressure. You may find after some time that your pet is very tolerant of the collar. If so, you may relax some of these precautions. It Is important to continue daily checks of the contact area. If redness or sores are found, discontinue use until the skin has fully healed.
Potential Problems with Shock Collars
Most problems arise when the electronic collar is used incorrectly or without proper knowledge obtained in advance.
- Erroneous reflex
It is possible that a dog may misunderstand the causes and source of punishment and, as a result, react inadequately to stimulation, which contributes to the development of the wrong reflex. For example, your dog tried to pick up scraps on the street, you applied a collar to him and at the same moment a car ran alongside with a noise. Noise is a strong irritant and following dog logic, it is the noisy vehicle that caused the shock or vibration, not the misconduct. Therefore the dog can decide that in the future it is necessary to avoid cars. Of course, to fix the wrong reflex requires a certain amount of time, which gives the owner the opportunity to correct the situation.
- Excessive stimulation
The use of shock collar without regard to the temperament of the dog, too much stimulation, as well as the use of the collar as a punishment for longstanding misconduct, will not only give the desired results, but can also cause serious harm to the pet. In such cases, nervous disorders may occur: involuntary urination, unwanted aggression, a state of constant stress (fear, panic), in rare cases – development of epilepsy.
- Over-stimulation in wet environment
Although virtually all electronic collars are waterproof, in damp weather more tangible electrical stimulation can be inadvertently applied to the dog. This is due to the better conductivity of the pulse in wet skin.
- Low sensitivity
Of course, you may also find that the electronic collar will not have the expected impact on your dog. This is especially true for large dogs with low sensitivity such as Caucasian, Central Asian and South Russian sheepdogs, and Pitbulls sometimes.
Quick Tips for Using Shock Collar
- Dogs need to get used to not using the collar as soon as you put it on your dog. Start training or walking 10-15 minutes later or your dog will quickly guess that it is the collar he just wore that is causing him discomfort.
- You can’t keep pushing the button. Do not use the collar every second, with the slightest unwanted movement of the dog. If your dog is doing something wrong, first make an oral command. Developing unconditional obedience to your commands is your goal and your dog’s collar is just a means of adjusting his behavior.
- Start with minimal impact. You don’t need to use electro-stimulation to correct your dog’s behavior right away: according to the feedback from the owners of the collar, dogs respond quite well to the beep or vibration. In addition, by constantly using shock, you run the risk of getting him to ignore weaker stimuli.
- Use shock stimulation setting. Be careful when choosing the optimal level of stimulation: too weak will not have an effect on your dog, while overstating will frighten your dog and can cause significant harm.
With a careful, responsible and individual approach, the use of an electronic collar is not dangerous to your pet’s health or psyche. The main point is to remember that the electronic collar will not make all the dog education work for you. In any case, it’s just a tool in your hands that can be harmful to your pet if used unprofessionally. And conversely, if you approach the process of raising a dog with the proper responsibility, the use of an electronic assistant will allow you to easily achieve stunning results.
Of course, online stores are offered to buy a lot of dubious products, attracting the buyer with its low price. Remember: it’s only safe for your dog to use a quality electronic collar, guaranteed by the manufacturer’s reputation.