Table of Contents
What is an Elevated Dog Bed?
Actually, such a bed is a frame for your four-legged friend that is covered with fabric or a mesh insert so that he does not have to lie directly on the cold floor or ground. In summer it makes the pup to cool down due to good air ventilation. A dog bed looks like a camp bed and its raised legs also protect against insects. Dog beds are available in different sizes. The bed can also be covered with a soft fleece pad, equipped with a bolster or canopy for extra sun protection. The height of the legs is may differ. Dog beds can be used both outdoors and indoors. They are a very good replacement for blankets, which are usually laid directly on the floor or ground, become wet, full of insects and difficult to clean. The Best Elevated Dog Bed is therefore a very good and practical alternative for pet parent and his dog.
Types of Elevated Dog Beds
- Original raised dog beds for indoors and outdoors (both or separately)
- Chewproof and biteproof indestructible raised dog beds
- Elevated dog beds with canopy for extra shade and sun protection
- Foldable and portable elevated dog beds (easy to carry and travel with)
8 Best Elevated Dog Beds – Overview & Rating
We have tried and tested many elevated pet beds and here is our choice of best items presented on the market, serving for different purposes. Our rating is based on the functions, price, materials and customer’s reviews.
|K&H PET PRODUCTS Original Pet Cot||
|The Original Elevated Pet Bed by Coolaroo||
|Kuranda Dog Bed Chewproof Elevated Dog Bed||
Best Smart Design
|Gen7Pets Trailblazer Blue Cool-Air Cot for Dogs, by Petmate||
Best Foldable Pet Bed
|GigaTent Elevated Pet Cot||
Best Bed with Canopy
|Floppy Dawg Just Chillin' Elevated Dog Bed With Canopy||
|K&H PET PRODUCTS Original Bolster Elevated Pet Bed||
Best for Long Travel
|Kurgo TaGo, Elevated Dog Bed, Round||
- Material: Durable and tested for strength. The breathable and waterproof mesh in the center
- Functionality: Indoor & Outdoor
- Sizes: M, L, XL
All K&H products are recognized to be reliable, affordable and beneficial to pets. Their leading innovative designs make them one of the best. K&H PET PRODUCTS Original Pet Cot raises your pet off the ground increasing the air circulation around them. A breathable mesh center allows warm body heat to cool down in minutes. A canopy or replacement cover are available to be ordered separately. Your pup is going to be well-secured from moisture, insects, unpleasant odor or bacteria. You can use it both for indoors and outdoors. Quick assembly makes it also good for travel. Comes in grey color.
- Assembled and dissembled quickly and without tools
- Waterproof fabric
- Slip resistant rubber feet
- Rubber feet many pop off and become a choking hazard (make sure to glue it)
- Material: Durable breathable high density polyethylene (HDPE) fabric, powder-coated steel frame
- Functionality: Indoor & Outdoor
- Sizes: S, M, L
GALE Pacific company is known for its outstanding history of becoming world famous due to its fantastic high quality technical fabrics. Their pet products are not exception. The Coolaroo Original Elevated Pet Bed has off-the-ground design and and bed surface is made of HDPE fabric. It will keep your dog cool by better airflow to its coat and healthy by reducing stress on his joints. It will also protect your pup from fleas, mites, mold, and mildew. The lightweight, powder-coated steel frame will last through the tough outdoor weather and the fabric is easy to clean, simply hose off with water. Available in in Brunswick Green, Grey, Terracotta, Nutmeg, Aquatic Blue and Gunmetal Colors.
- Fabric warranty
- Easy to install
- Not for heavy chewers or scratchers
- Material: Patented, CHEWPROOF HIGH STRENGTH, lightweight aircraft grade aluminum frame. Heavy Duty 40oz solid vinyl
- Functionality: Indoor & Outdoor
- Sizes: XS, S, M, L, XL, XXL
This is a high quality, chew proof and bite proof elevated dog bed. It is stylish and durable at the same time. Choosing an all-aluminum option you can use it indoors and outdoors, without fear of any rust. Even all fasteners are made from stainless steel. The lightweight and yet strong aircraft grade aluminum frame can support dogs weighing up to 250lbs! Kuranda bed cover itself is made from heavy duty 40 oz solid vinyl, making it resistant to heavy chewers, diggers, scratchers and suitable for very large and heavy dogs. This fabric also ensures orthopedic support eliminating pressure from the joint, which is vital for senior dogs. You can choose between Burgundy, Forest Green, Royal Blue and Smoke colors.
- The bed is easy to clean and you can wash and clean it many times without any wearing signs
- This bed comes with a 1 Year Warranty and is famous for perfect customer service. being based in Annapolis, Maryland, USA
- All fabric ends are hidden into the Aluminium frame, which prevents even thinking of chewing
- Requires tools for assembly
Best Smart Design for Outdoors
- Material: Durable no-rust round metal frame. The Cool-Air Cot's resting area is made up of furniture-grade mesh that provides Smart Air-Flow comfort, water drainage and thus reducing the potential for itchy hotspots or skin irritations
- Functionality: Outdoor
- Sizes: M, L
The Petmate products are designed for ultimate pet comfort. Keep the heat under control with this Airy outdoor pet bed. Your dog will be safe outside without worrying about hot or wet surfaces or those nasty little insects that live in the grass and plants. This cool air cot is a raised cot style bed that snaps together in less than a minute and folds up for convenient storage or travel. There is a high back on one side of the cot that gives pets some privacy and a place they can nuzzle. The smart airflow mesh bed surface lets airflow from underneath which reduces the risk of your dog getting hot spots from friction. The smart airflow mesh also serves another purpose – it drains off rainwater because the cool air cut is designed to be left outdoors. The cool air cots frame is powder coated and will not rust so it’s an all-weather pet bed. It comes in two sizes: medium – which is rated to hold up to 60 pounds and large – for pets up to 90 pounds.
- Perfect for dogs to protect from an allergy to grass, itchy skin
- Adjustable for a firm or soft fit
- Designs allows to store and transport easy
- Seems may appear to be not sturdy
You may also like
How does an Elevated Dog Bed Work?
The elevated design allows the dog not to lie directly on the cold floor, outside – the grass or the ground and therefore your pup does not catch ticks, etc. Because of the design you can also leave the dog bed in the garden overnight. Indoors, the dog is often exposed to all kinds of allergens. By raising the bed, this danger is largely eliminated. Dog beds can be folded up very easily and therefore do not take up much space. Due to the practical handling and the low weight, dog beds are also very suitable for vacation. The cover can be easily removed and usually washed in the washing machine or simply with a hose in the backyard.
What are the Types of Dog Elevated Beds?
In addition to the already mentioned dog beds covered with mesh, fabric or fleece, there are also raised dog beds for sick dogs. Urine, blood or vomit can then be quickly cleaned and the dog is protected from a new infection (floor!). If the dog had to be shaved or has little fur, the dog bed prevents him from cooling down! It depends also always on the size of the dog and also the age of the dog. An older dog often has difficulty to reach a higher bed. A higher bed is also nothing for a smaller dog, because he can’t make it up with his shorter legs. Then there are also orthopedic dog beds for older dogs, which make it easier to get on and off the bed and make lying down even more comfortable and restful.
What are the Benefits of an Elevated Dog Bed?
The biggest advantage for both the dog and the dog owner is the practical and comfortable handling. The easy cleaning and the quick disassembly and assembly as well as the space-saving storage, whether in the car, in the garden or in the house. Dogs with allergies do not come so easily into contact with the house dust, which makes the dog’s life much easier. Another advantage of the dog bed is that it dries quickly, so that no unnecessary moisture remains.
5 Pros of an Elevated Dog Bed
- An elevated bed raises your dog off the floor, so your dog stays at a comfortable temperature: cool in summer and warm in winter.
- A good quality elevated bed is orthopedic. Orthopedic beds are good not only for dogs with joint problems, but for all dogs. Lying on too rigid surfaces like the floor or too soft surfaced like pillows can put pressure on your dog’s hips, shoulders, and elbows, and not to reduce it as many people think..
- An elevated bed is easy to carry. Some of them are just lightweight and you can move it from one place to another without any effort. And some are even foldable which makes them a perfect solution for travelling and camping with a dog.
- An elevated bed is a no stuffing bed. Some dogs are heavy chewers and can make a target even their own bed. You can come back home and find it full of stuffing remains, which is not only messy, but dangerous for your dog’s health.
- An elevated bed is easy to clean. The majority of raised beds are made of washable mesh or vinyl, so you can either remove the cover for machine washing, or even simply wipe it down or wash with water flow and have it fresh and clean in minutes.
- An elevated bed causes no allergy. People suffering from allergies know that hard surfaces healthier than carpeting due to quick cleaning and no dust gathering. Elevated dog beds are better than soft or foam-based dog beds for the same reason. Instead, the stuffing can cause all kinds of allergens, including dust mites, dander, and pollen trekked in from outdoors. They are never 100% clean.
How do You Make Your Dog Used to the New Dog Bed?
It is best to place the dog bed in the living room. Perhaps where the old bed is normally placed. Dogs are curious by nature and usually adapt to the bed quickly. The favorite toy adds some familiar smell to the new dog bed and also encourages your dog to jump on it. You can also use an “Up” command to make your pup jump on the bed. Once the dog is laying on it comfortable, praise him with a treat.
What should You Consider When Buying an Elevated Dog Bed?
- Stability of the stainless steel frame
- Tidy, high quality screw connection if any
- Durable material of the upholstery
- Replacement Covering
The raised dog bed must be stable and able to withstand a young dog’s jumping up and down. The cover must be close meshed, otherwise the dog can get caught in it with its claws and injure itself. The holes in between must however ensure that the air circulation works when the dog is lying on it. Special attention must be paid to the quality of the bolting of the frame, otherwise the stability is not guaranteed. Dogs like to scratch around on the fabric or netting before lying down.
How To Choose the Right Elevated Bed Size?
Measure your dog from the nose to the tale base. Compare the length with manufacturer’s length chart. And better choose one size up for your dog’s comfort. Also check the maximum load on the bed, as dogs of the same length may differ in weight significantly.
You may also like
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Elevated Dog Beds Better?
There are several advantages for elevated dog beds: orthopedic, stuffing-free, easy to clean, allergy-free, keeping dogs cooled or warmed depending on the weather, suitable outdoors and travelling
Do Dogs Like Dog Beds?
If trained properly, dogs consider their bed as a safe place where he can sleep or just relax
Where Should I Put My Dog’s Elevated Bed?
If you use it indoors, put an elevated bed as any other bed in a place which is: not far from the dog’s owner bed, at the distance from the main door and draft, a place where your pup can stay isolated, but yet to see all family members. If outdoors – in summer put it in a shady and visible place
Elevated Dog Beds are ideal for small, medium and large dogs and even giant breeds. The extra air circulation from being up off the ground is especially beneficial in summer, and orthopedic support is healthy for all breeds and ages. Easy cleaning and lightweight design are another advantage for those travelling with the dogs.